History of Language and Literature.
- Topics from the History of Bangla language
- The chronological track from Proto Indo-European to Bangla (Family tree with branches and approximate dates).
- Historical stages of Bangla (Old, Middle, New) and their linguistic features.
- Dialects of Bangla and their distinguishing characteristics.
- Elements of Bangla Vocabulary.
- Forms of Bangla Literary Prose-Sadhu and Chalit.
- Processes of language change relevant for Bangla : Apinihiti (Anaptyxis), Abhishruti (umlaut), Murdhanyibhavan (cerebralization), Nasikyibhavan (Nasalization),
Samibhavan (Assimilation), Sadrishya (Analogy), Svaragama (Vowel insertion)-Adi Svaragama, Madhya Svaragama or Svarabhakti, Antya Svaragama, Svarasangati (Vowel hormony), y-shruti and w-shruti.
- Problems of standardization and reform of alphabet and spelling, and those of transliteration and Romanization.
- Phonology, Morphology and Syntax of Modern Bangla.
(Sounds of Modern Bangla, Conjuncts; word formations, compounds; basic sentence patterns.)
- Topics from the History of Bangla Literature.
- Periodization of Bangla Literature : Old Bangla and Middle Bangla.
- Points of difference between modern and pre-modern Bangla Literature.
- Roots and reasons behind the emergence of modernity in Bangla Literature.
- Evolution of various Middle Bangla forms : Mangal kavyas, Vaishnava lyrics, Adapted narratives (Ramayana, Mahabharata, Bhagavata) and religious biographies.
- Secular forms in middle Bangla literature.
- Narrative and lyric trends in the nineteenth century Bangla poetry.
- Development of prose.
- Bangla dramatic literature (nineteenth century, Tagore, Post-1944 Bangla drama).
- Tagore and post-Tagoreans.
- Fiction, major authors : (Bankimchandra, Tagore, Saratchandra, Bibhutibusan, Tarasankar, Manik).
- Women and Bangla literature : creators and created.
Prescribed texts for close study.
- Vaishnava Padavali (Calcutta University): Poems of Vidyapati, Chandidas, Jnanadas, Govindadas and Balaramdas.
- Chandimangal Kalketu episode by Mukunda (Sahitya Akademi).
- Chaitanya Charitamrita Madya Lila, by Krishnadas Kaviraj (Sahitya Akademi).
- Meghnadbadh Kavya by Madhusudan Dutta.
- Kapalkundala by Bankimchandra Chattarjee.
- Samya and Bangadesher Krishak by Bankimchandra Chatterjee.
- Sonar Tari by Rabindranath Tagore.
- Chhinnapatravali by Rabindranath Tagore.
- Raktakarabi by Rabindranath Tagore.
- Nabajatak by Rabindranath Tagore.
- Grihadaha by Saratchandra Chatterjee.
- Prabandha Samgraha Vol. 1, by Pramatha Choudhuri.
- Aranyak by Bibhutibhusan Banerjee
- Short stories by Manik Bandyopadhyay : Atashi Mami, Pragaitihasik, Holud-Pora, Sarisrip, HaranerNatjamai, Chhoto-Bokulpurer Jatri, Kustharogir Bou, Jakey Ghush Ditey Hoy.
- Shrestha Kavita by Jibanananda Das.
- Jagori by Satinath Bhaduri.
- Ebam Indrajit by Badal Sircar.
- Paper 1 :Rameswar Shaw for bhasar itihas & Asit Kumar Bandyopadhyay for Sahityer itihas ( Puro ta porte hobe na)
- Paper 2 : All text books given in syllabus (in total 17 )
- Baishnav Padavali – Sanatan Goswami
- Madhusudan Datta er meghnad badh kavya – Ashok kumar Mishra
- Jagori – Bama Pustakalay – Chandan Bhattacharya
Previous Year Question Papers:
|Paper – 1||Paper – 1||Paper – 1||Paper – 1||Paper 1|