UPSC Civil Services Mains Exam – 2018: General Studies Paper – 1
QUESTION PAPER SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS
- (Please read each of the following instructions carefully before attempting questions)
- There are TWENTY questions
- All questions are compulsory.
- The number of marks carried by a question/part is indicated against it. Answers must be written in the medium authorized in the Admission Certificate which must be stated clearly on the cover of this Question-cum-Answer (QCA) Booklet in the space provided.
- No marks will be given for answers written in medium other than the authorized one.
- Word limit in questions, if specified, should be adhered to.
- Any page or portion of the page left blank in the Question-cum-Answer Booklet must be clearly struck off
- Safeguarding the Indian art heritage is the need of the moment. Comment (10 Marks, 150 Words)
- Assess the importance of the accounts of the Chinese and Arab travellers in the reconstruction of the history of India. (10 Marks, 150 Words)
- Throw light on the significance of the thoughts of Mahatma Gandhi in the present times. (10 Marks, 150 Words)
- Why is Indian Regional Navigational Satellite System (IRNSS) needed? How does it help in navigation? (10 Marks, 150 Words)
- Why is India taking keen interest in the Arctic region? (10 Marks, 150 Words)
- Define mantle plume and explain its role in plate tectonics. (10 Marks, 150 Words)
- What are the consequences of spreading of ‘Dead Zones’ on marine ecosystem? (10 Marks, 150 Words)
- “Caste system is assuming new identities and associational forms. Hence, caste system cannot be eradicated in India.” Comment. (10 Marks, 150 Words)
- ‘Despite implementation of various programmes for eradication of poverty by the government in India, poverty is still existing’. Explain by giving reasons. (10 Marks, 150 Words)
- How the Indian concept of secularism different from the western model of secularism? Discuss. (10 Marks, 150 Words)
- The Bhakti movement received a remarkable re-orientation with the advent of Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu. Discuss. (15 Marks, 250 Words)
- Discuss whether formation of new states in recent times is beneficial or not for the economy of India. (15 Marks, 250 Words)
- Why indentured labour was taken by the British from India to their colonies? have they been able to preserve their cultural identity over there? (15 Marks, 250 Words)
- “The ideal solution of depleting ground water resources in India is water harvesting system.” How can it be made effective in urban areas? (15 Marks, 250 Words)
- Defining blue revolution, explain the problems and strategies for pisciculture development in India. (15 Marks, 250 Words)
- What is the significance of Industrial Corridors in India? Identifying industrial corridors, explain their main characteristics. (15 Marks, 250 Words)
- Mention core strategies for the transformation of aspirational districts in India and explain the nature of convergence, collaboration and competition for its success. (15 Marks, 250 Words)
- ‘Women’s movement in India has not addresses the issues of women of lower social strata.’ Substantiate your view. (15 Marks, 250 Words)
- ‘Globalisation is generally said to promote cultural homogenisation but due to this cultural specificities appear to be strengthened in the Indian society.’ Elucidate.(15 Marks, 250 Words)
- ‘Communalism arises either due to power struggle or relative deprivation.’ Argue by giving suitable illustrations. (15 Marks, 250 Words)
For all previous year UPSC CSE Question Papers and Solutions, Please Click Here