Topic : National mission on natural language translation soon
Topic in Syllabus : General Studies Paper 3: Science & Technology
The Ministry of Electronics and IT is planning to place a Rs. 450 crore proposal before the union cabinet for Natural Language Translation.
Objectives of National Mission on Natural Language Translation
- It aims to make science and technology accessible to all by facilitating access to teaching and researching material bilingually — in English and in one’s native Indian language.
- It is one of the key missions identified by the Prime Minister’s Science, Technology and Innovation Advisory Council (PM-STIAC).
- To overcome the language barrier, the government planned to set up an ecosystem which involved the Central and State agencies and start-ups.
- To achieve this, the government plans to leverage a combination of machine translation and human translation.
- The govt. is looking at speech-to-speech machine translation as well as text-to-text machine translation for this additional to human translation.
- It is planned to set up an ecosystem which involves central and state government agencies and start-ups who will work with scientists and build implementable solutions.
- Under the mission, translation activities would help generate employment for educated unemployed.
- The mission would help students teachers, authors, publishers, translation software developers and general readers.
Besides natural language translation, PM-STIAC has identified other missions such as:
- Quantum Frontier:
- This mission aims to initiate works in control of the quantum mechanical systems, with a large number of degrees of freedom, as one of the great contemporary challenges in fundamental science and technology.
- Artificial Intelligence:
- The mission focuses on efforts that will benefit India in addressing societal needs in areas such as healthcare, education, agriculture, smart cities and infrastructure, including smart mobility and transportation
- National Biodiversity Mission
- This mission involves a comprehensive documentation of India’s biodiversity with the potential for cataloguing and mapping all life forms in India including associated cultural and traditional practices; assessment of the distribution and conservation status of India’s biodiversity; development of a cadre of professionals adept at handling large sets of environmental data for management and monitoring of biodiversity; expansion of knowledge in ecosystem functioning that will inform restoration efforts; establishment of a vibrant biodiversity based economy on a solid foundation of reliable information; engagement with the public; enhanced options for agricultural production and livelihood; security and general well being of society.
- Electric Vehicles
- The mission aims to reduce India’s fossil fuel emissions and mitigate emissions by making Electric Vehicles economical and scalable through focused research, development and innovation and building of indigenous capacity.
- Bio Science for Human Health
- The mission through the use of healthy and disease samples aims to understand the impact of nature and nurture on health. The mission aims to construct comprehensive reference maps of genomes and to understand the dynamics of how exposure to different environments have an impact on our bodies.
- Waste To Wealth
- The mission aims to identify, develop and deploy technologies to treat waste to generate energy, recycle materials and extract worth. It will work to identify and support the development of new technologies that hold promise in creating a clean, green environment.
- Deep Ocean Exploration
- The mission aims to scientifically explore the deep oceans towards improving our understanding of the blue frontier. The information from this mission will address issues arising from long term changes in the ocean due to climate change.
- This mission aims to support the national efforts to boost the innovation ecosystem in the country by connecting innovators across the industry, individuals and the grassroots to the market and helping commercialise innovative solutions.
- Translation activities can help generate employment for educated unemployed.
- The mission would help not just students but also teachers, authors, publishers, translation software developers and general readers.
Discuss the Need for Natural Language Translation. How this mission helps to generate employment.