Topic : ICANN partners with NASSCOM to develop technology, standards for iot devices
Topic in Syllabus: Science & Technology
Internet Corporation forAssigned Names and Numbers(ICANN), the global internet body and Indian apex body for ITindustry NASSCOM (NationalAssociation of Software and Services Companies)announced collaboration for working in developingstandards and identifier technology that will feedinto the global consultation for managing Internetof-Things (IoT) devices and infrastructure usinginternet.
- Under the partnership, both ICANN & NASSCOM will1st focus on updating Internet of Things (IoT) devicesusing domain name system (DNS) even in situationwhen manufacturer or supplier has closed down thebusiness.
- The collaboration will provide a structure for bothbodies to jointly identify research projects,predominantly in new technologies related tointernet’s system of unique identifiers.
- The researchproject undertaken will look at directing people whoare looking to update their IoT to othermanufacturers/vendor in case if original vendor hasclosed down his business.
- First Project: 1st research project undertaken focuseson testing the use of DNS to update IoT firmware andstudying how proposed technology could scaleoutside a lab environment.
- Project Team: under collaboration includes ICANNtechnical experts, NASSCOM’s Centre of ExcellenceIOT team, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)Hyderabad team and participants from Education andResearch Network (ERNET) of India.
- The teams have already begun research on DNS andInternet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) in context ofInternet of Things (IoT) in 2018.
- It is nonprofit global organization that is responsiblefor allocating IP addresses, managing domain namesystem (DNS) and also overlooks all internetplumbing on behalf of governments, universities andcompanies, as well as public.
- It is often dubbed as phone book of internet as itmatches domain names with appropriate IP addressnumbers.
- Although this global multi-stakeholder organizationwas created by United States (US) government butsince March 2016, ICANN is no longer overseen by USgovernment and has roped in now into the hands oflesser known organisation that will have a number ofcountries on board
ICANN performs four major functions namely:
- Approval of companies that can become accredited registrars for domain names.
- Decision making regarding the addition of new Top Level Domains (TLDs) to the Root system.
- Coordinating technical parameters to maintain universal connectivity.
- Creating a Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP) for competing domain names.
- The National Association of Software and Services Companies(NASSCOM) is a trade association of Indian Information Technology (IT) and Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) industry.
- Established in 1988, NASSCOM is a non-profit organisation.
- NASSCOM initiated a program called ‘10000 Startups’ in 2013. The purpose of 10000 Startup is to support and impact 10,000 startups in India by 2023.
ICANN is responsible for
a. Coordination of global Internet’s systems of unique identifiers.
b. Coordination of the Internet Protocol address spaces.
c. Introduction of new generic top-level domains (TLDs).
d. All of the Above
Answer : D