Topic : Kaleshwaram Lift Irrigation Project
Topic in Syllabus: Indian Geography
Kaleshwaram Lift Irrigation Project (KLIP) claimed as the world’s largest multi-stage and multi-purpose lift irrigation scheme, was inaugurated.
- The Kaleshwaram project is an off-shoot of the original Pranahitha-Chevella Lift Irrigation Scheme taken up by the government in 2007 when Andhra Pradesh was not divided.
- Waters of the Godavari will be tapped by reverse pumping and storage, thereby facilitating agriculture on over 38 lakh acres.
- It would help rejuvenate thousands of tanks, providing water for industries, and supplying drinking water to Hyderabad and Secunderabad by creating a series of storage tanks and a network of pipelines.
- The project starts at the confluence point of Pranahita River (amajor tributary of Godavari River) and Godavari River.
- Pranahita river is a confluence of various other smaller tributaries like Wardha, Penganga and Wainganga Rivers.
- In a state that accounts for the second highest number of farmers’ suicides after Vidarbha in Maharashtra often because of poor monsoon rains or lack of irrigation facilities, the project holds the potential to change this tragic tale of Telangana.
- It is aimed to make Telangana drought proof by harnessing the flood waters of the Godavari.
Consider the following,
- Mission Bhagiratha
- Mission Kakatiya
- Polavaram Project
- Kaleswaram Lift Irrigation Project
Which of the above are associated with State of Telangana?
a. 1 and 2 only
b. 1,2 and 3 only
c. 1,2 and 4 only
d. All of the above