Topic : Mahatma Gandhi Technology Park (MGIT-BP) in Côte d’Ivoire.
Topic in Syllabus: Ecology & Environment
- The Mahatma Gandhi Information Technology & Biotech Park (MGIT-BP) has been inaugurated in Côte d’Ivoirein Grand-Bassam
- The MGIT-BP is being built with India’s assistance through EXIM Bank Lines of Credit of US$ 20 million.
- MGIT-BP is a dedicated Free Trade Zone (FTZ) for IT & Biotechnology.
- The MGIT-BP project consists of two parts:
- Firstly, architectural concept and design for the buildings of FTZ and construction of main building to host IT enterprises.
- Secondly, supply and commissioning of equipment which included, Computer Assembly Plant, VSAT with Satellite Earth Station, Networking Lab, Human DNA Lab, Data Storage Area Network, an Audio-Visual Lab and a power generator.
Free Trade Zone (FTZ):
- A free-trade zone (FTZ) is a class of special economic zone.
- It is a geographic area where goods may be landed, stored, handled, manufactured or reconfigured and re-exported under specific customs regulation and generally not subject to customs duty.
- Free trade zones are generally organized around major seaports, international airports, and national frontiers—areas with many geographic advantages for trade
About Cote d’Ivoire:
- Côte d’Ivoire is a West African country with beach resorts, rainforests and a French-colonial legacy. Abidjan, on the Atlantic coast, is the country’s major urban center
- Capital: Yamoussoukro
- Currency: CFA franc, West African CFA franc
Which of the below category does SEZ covers:
a. Free trade zones (FTZ),
b. Export processing Zones (EPZ),
c. Industrial estates (IE)
d. All of the Above