Topic : Operation Sunshine-2
Topic in Syllabus: Security Issues
- In a coordinated operation named “Operation Sunshine-2”, the Indian army along with Myanmar troops conducted a 3-week long operation targeting several militant groups operating in the border regions of Manipur, Nagaland and Assam.
- This operation was a follow up of “Operation Sunshine-1” which took place in February where the Indian Army successfully destroyed Arakanese rebel camps that were working towards sabotaging the Kaladan Multimodal transit transport project.
- The operation conducted between May 16 and June 8 targeted several militant outfits including the Kamtapur Liberation Organisation (KLO), the NSCN (Khaplang), the United Liberation Front of Assam (I) and the National Democratic Front of Boroland (NDFB).
- Reportedly, around 70-80 militants belonging to these groups were nabbed and several of their camps destroyed during the operation. A third phase of the operation may also be launched depending upon on the actionable intelligence and ground situation.
- Majority of these camps were in Hokayat, and were predominantly of the Naga rebel group, NSCN-K, which had abrogated its ceasefire with the Indian government in 2015.
- The operation included blocks by two battalions of the Indian Army — along with Special Forces, Assam Rifles and infantry Ghataks — on the Indian side of the border.
- . India has been pushing for better coordination between the two countries to handle the militants.
- The Indian Army provide logistics support to the Myanmar Army during this deployment as their infrastructure is stretched heavily during the monsoons.
- This support will include special rations and food supplies for the Myanmarese soldiers deployed in Sagaing Region.
Consider the following statements:
- India-Myanmar Bilateral Army Exercise (IMBAX) is aimed at building and promoting closer relations with armies.
- Myanmar is a key partner in the fight to end insurgency in India’s northeast.
Which of the above statement is/are Correct?
a). 1 only
b). 2 only