Topic : Police station in Satara tops SMART survey
Topic in Syllabus: Indian Governance
Rahimatpur police station in Satara district in western Maharashtra has emerged as the State topper in a survey based on the ‘SMART’ policing concept
The Quality Council of India (QCI), which executed the survey, assessed 87 shortlisted police stations across the country on a number of parameters like performance in controlling crime, infrastructure of the police building, mess and optimal use of technology, and citizen feedback.
The other vital parameters included approachability and discipline of the police personnel, storage of manual records in the police station as well as the station head officer’s (SHO’s) declaration of the budgetary process.
- (S-Sensitive and Strict; M-Modern with mobility; A- Alert and Accountable; R- Reliable and Responsive; T- Trained and Techno-savvy)
- The Prime Minister of India had introduced the concept of SMART Police during the 49th Directors General/ Inspectors General Annual Conference at Guwahati in 2014.
- A SMART Police Station should be citizen friendly and clean.
- Basic amenities for visitors, waiting area, toilets, drinking water, Receptionist whom the visitors can meet.
- Rest room for constables, including separate room for women constables.
- Natural lighting and ventilation, solar lighting, energy saving features.
- CCTV, Safe & secure Armoury, Record Room, Communication Room for wireless, computers etc.
- Automated kiosks for filing of complaints by public (with a back-end system for tracking follow up action).
Which district police station in Maharashtra has topped in the SMART Policing survey conducted by quality council in India ?