Topic : Sanchay Jal, BehtarKal Campaign
Topic in Syllabus: Schemes & Programmes
Rolling out its water conservation plan under the Jal Shakti Abhiyan, the Centre said it would focus its time-bound, mission-mode campaign on 1,592 “water-stressed” blocks in 257 districts
Sanchay Jal, BehtarKal Campaign:
- It is a campaign for rainwater harvesting and water conservation.
- The plan would rely largely on mass awareness programmes.
- It will also involve focused implementation and convergence of existing water conservation schemes under the NREGS, Integrated Watershed Management Programme, and PMKSY’s per-drop-more-crop (micro-irrigation) programme.
- The teams of officers from the central government will visit and work with district administration in 1592 water stressed blocks in 256 districts, to ensure five important water conservation interventions. These will be:
- Water conservation and rainwater harvesting,
- Renovation of traditional and other water bodies/tanks,
- Bore well recharge structures,
- watershed development and intensive afforestation..
Need of the Hour:
- India’s water availability is estimated to decline to 1,341 cubic meter per capita per year by 2025 (from 5,177 cubic meter per capita per year in 1951).
- But there are also examples of states such as Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Gujarat and others that have undertaken efforts to resolve it.
- The United Nations, under its sustainable development goals, expects all countries to provide clean drinking water to every household by 2030.
- At present, only 8% of the total rainwater in the country is harvested — one of the many reasons why it needs to become a people’s movement.
With reference to ‘Jal Shakti Abhiyan’, consider the following statements :
- It was launched on July 1, 2019.
- It is a collaborative effort of various Ministries of the Government of India and State Governments, being coordinated by the DDWS. .
- Under this campaign,teams of officers from the central government will visit and work with district administration in 1592 water stressed blocks in 256 districts, to ensure five important water conservation interventions.
Which of the above statements are correct?
(a) Only 1 and 2
(b) Only 2 and 3
(c) Only 1 and 3
(d) 1, 2 and 3