Topic: US Senate clears proposal to bring India on a par with its Nato allies
Topic in Syllabus: International Affairs
The US Senate has passed a legislative provision that brings India on par with Washington’s North Atlantic Treaty Organization (Nato) allies and countries such as Israel and South Korea for increasing defence cooperation.
The legislative provision provides for increased US-India defence cooperation in the Indian Ocean in areas of humanitarian assistance, counterterrorism, counter-piracy, and maritime security.
The National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) is the name for each of a series of United States federal laws specifying the annual budget and expenditures of the U.S. Department of Defense. The first NDAA was passed in 1961.
What are its advantages to India?
- India would be on par with America’s NATO allies like Japan, Australia, and South Korea.
- It would enable the transfer of advanced defense technology to India and in implementation of a major defense partnership with the US.
- The amendment provides for increased U.S.-India defense cooperation in the Indian Ocean in the areas of humanitarian assistance, counter-terrorism, counter-piracy, and maritime security.
- In recognition of the shared democratic values and commitment to free navigation, another suggestion in the budget document is to increase engagement with India in multilateral frameworks “to promote regional security and defend shared values and common interests in the rules-based order”.
- It said the quadrilateral dialogue among the US, India, Japan, and Australia should be enhanced.
About North Atlantic Treaty Organization (North Atlantic Alliance):
It is an intergovernmental military alliance.
Treaty that was signed on 4 April 1949.
Headquarters — Brussels, Belgium.
Headquarters of Allied Command Operations — Mons, Belgium.
Significance: It constitutes a system of collective defence whereby its independent member states agree to mutual defence in response to an attack by any external party.
How many Countries Are the Members Of NATO?