Topic : Indo-Pak tensions
Topic in Syllabus: International Affairs
Pakistan has taken the decision to downgrade diplomatic ties with India.
It comes a day after scrapping Article 370.
- Suspension of bilateral trade,
- Review of bilateral arrangement,
- Taking India’s actions in Kashmir to the UN and
- Observing August 14 in solidarity with Kashmiris.
- Pakistan also decided to expel Indian High Commissioner in Pakistan and Pakistan will not send its High Commissioner-designate to New Delhi.
- This is not the first time that India and Pakistan are downgrading ties,
- In 2001, India pulled out it’s high commissioner after the JeM attack on Parliament.
- Pakistan reciprocated by pulling out its high commissioner.
- In 2003, India expelled Deputy high commissioner and Pakistan’s acting high commissioner, accusing of espionage.
- Pakistan retaliated by sending back the Indian acting high commissioner.
- India also suspended air, train and bus links to Pakistan.
- India-Pakistan official bilateral trade –
- It is worth about $2 billion.
- It peaked to about $ 5 billion, but fell after the Uri attack.
- A little to slump again due to the 200% duty imposed on imports from Pakistan after the Pulwama attack.
- India’s top exports to Pakistan are chemicals and textiles.
- It accounts for almost 70 per cent of the bilateral trade.
- Pakistan’s top exports to India are vegetable fats and oils, and minerals.
- It accounts for about 70 per cent of its trade with India.
Consider the following statement/s:
- The Changa Manga forest in Pakistan is the world’s largest man-made forest.
- Gwadar port in Pakistan is the largest deep sea port in the world.
- Gol Masjid is the largest Single Dome Mosque in the world and is located in Karachi, Pakistan.
Which of the above statement/s is/are Correct?
a. 1 and 2 only
b. 1 and 3 only
c. 2 and 3 only
d. All of the Above