Topic: UMMID initiative
Topic in Syllabus: Indian Society
The Union Minister for Science & Technology launched UMMID (Unique Methods of Management and treatment of Inherited Disorders) initiative and inaugurated NIDAN (National Inherited Diseases Administration) Kendras.
Cytogenetics is the study of chromosomal structure, location and function in cells. It includes the study of chromosome number and its appearance, the physical location of genes on chromosomes, and chromosomal behaviour in processes such as cell division.
ABOUT UMMID INITIATIVE:
- UMMID (Unique Methods of Management and treatment of Inherited Disorders) is an initiative of Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science and Technology.
- Under this initiative, training centres have been establish to provide training in Biochemical Genetics, Cytogenetics, Molecular Genetics, and Clinical Genetics.
- To establish NIDAN (National Inherited Diseases Administration) Kendras to provide counselling, prenatal testing and multidisciplinary care in Government Hospitals wherein the influx of patients is more
- To produce skilled clinicians in Human Genetics
- To undertake screening of pregnant women (10,000) and new born babies (5000) for inherited genetic diseases in hospitals at seven aspirational districts
- In India’s urban areas, congenital malformations and genetic disorders are the third most common cause of mortality in newborns.
- With a very large population and high birth rate, and consanguineous marriage favored in many communities, prevalence of genetic disorders is high in India.
- According to the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, the following groups of women are at the risk of delivering babies with inherited genetic disorders:
- Pregnant women above the age of 35 years
- Expectant mothers with gestational diabetes
- Women who have consumed medication for epilepsy during pregnancy
- Women who have a family history of Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, Thallasemia or Haemophilia
The Union Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan launched UMMID initiative and inaugurated NIDAN Kendras, they are related to
a) Better nutrition in kids
b) Enhancing child birth possibilities to childless parents
c) NCDs management